Saturday, July 14, 2012

imprint of a kiwi

i was walking with you last night by a river.  you were walking with yourself, your little girl self.  she picked up a bike and you got on the back as she pedaled out into the current.

i hesitated on the shore.

i didn't have a bike, and i was afraid my dress would weigh me down.  ultimately i didn't want to lose you to the other side so i jumped in after you.  i kept my head above the surface the whole time.

we pulled ourselves up out of the water.  we dried ourselves stepping through the sun.  we curled up in a cabin where you and little you were overflowing with laughter.  it reminded me of the first time i saw her peeking out.  you were telling a story about sun salutes and the way you interacted with the Afghan observer.  your mischievousness pulled me in.

i was in your happy place and it became my happy place.  light and airy and spacious.

and then i checked my phone.

the voicemail began pulling me back to the other shore.  as i stood to leave i noticed my dress had dried quickly from the heat.  something wasn't right.  the front was stained from the dirty reeds in the river and i felt a sadness for ruining it.

the reeds made a pattern that became a sort of intention.  a perfect outline of bulbs and branch.  a block print all along the front of me. i joked that i should swim the backstroke to complete the pattern.  i soaked up your smile.

and then i woke.  aching for the river, the dress: the message from the pattern

No comments:

Post a Comment